Friday, May 6, 2011

Good Food Friday: Tacos!

I really wanted to post about my newest favorite soup...


... but I'm sure you are getting tired of all my recipes needing a bowl and spoon. So I'm doing my next favorite super quick supper: tacos! I can feed my entire family (husband with bottomless stomach, 3 boys with a hollow leg, 2 itty bitty girls and myself) on one pound of ground meat. Seriously! Want to know my secret? Beans. They are amazing are they not? Inexpensive but when combined with meat and spices, well, it is darn close to magic what they can accomplish. And instead of prepackaged taco seasoning, I throw together my own, thank you very much. The funny thing is, this is also my recipe for chili, just add onions, fresh peppers and a couple cans of chopped tomatoes and let it sit in a crock pot for an afternoon.

Meat and Bean Tacos

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground meat ( I use turkey or beef)
  • 4 cups of great northern beans, soaked overnight and cooked for two hours (or canned)
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp paprika (or chili powder)
  • 2 huge cloves garlic
  • a couple of pinches of red pepper flakes
Directions:
  • Saute meat until no longer pink. Add beans.
  • Combine spices in a bowl and add a bit of water and stir.
spices without water

spices with water
  • Add spices to meat and bean mixture. Serve when heated through. Serve with brown rice, spinach, salsa, sour cream, cheese, shredded carrots... really any vegetable!
Yesterday's supper? Burrito bowl!



Okay, on second thought, that does require a bowl and spoon. So since I already broke my own rule for this post I might as well give you the recipe for my new favorite soup, too. Coincidently, this is what I had for lunch yesterday. Oh so good!

Chinese Lettuce Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 mushrooms (very thinly sliced)
  • 1 carrot (very thinly sliced)
  • 1 handful spinach (don't you love my precise measurements?)
  • bunch of chives (or scallions)
  • Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce

the chives are from my garden

Directions:
  • In a wok, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrot, and chives. Cook, stirring constantly until mushroom are slightly brown and carrots begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add 3-4 cups of water. Add Braggs Liquid Aminos, about 3 turns around the wok, or to taste. Simmer until heated through. Sometimes I add a few drops of sesame seed oil for that truly authentic Asian flavor. You can also serve it with cubed tofu or chicken.
I enjoyed it with a few shrimp. Such a treat!




.......................................................................

Besides all the cooking taking place in my kitchen, there is TONS happening outside of my kitchen window. Can't wait to share some finished projects with you.



See you next week with photos of the amazing progress taking place in the backyard, despite the soggy ground and gray skies. It looks like spring is coming after all!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joining up again with all our lovely neighbors over at Farm Friend and Farm Girl Friday. Welcome back to all our friends and perhaps new visitors! If you like us and have a Facebook account won't you take a moment to "Like us" on Facebook? On our Two Blue Houses Facebook page we often share pictures and other things we don't post on the blog. You can also follow us via Newtworked Blogs and get just the quick up to the minute post updates.  Not into all that crazy social networking? If you scroll to the bottom of our blog you can submit your email address for daily or weekly blog updates. This week we also had a cultured (fermented) vegetable recipe. Look around we are so glad you stopped by!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to check out this amazing T-shirt by Jackie. She updated a simple black T-shirt in the simplest way, but it is so beautiful. It is so adorable; I think I am in love! - Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...