Friday, January 11, 2013

Good Food Friday: Immune Tonic

Well it is that time of year again I think it's safe to say we are all fighting something.  Being sick is no fun and sometimes staying healthy feels like a full time job.  Especially if you are trying to keep a whole house feeling fine.

I stumbled across this drink in one of my magazines and was immediately hooked by the ingredient list alone.  Lemons.  Ginger.  Echinacea.  I'm pretty sure this is the healthy vegan substitute for chicken broth!



Immune Tonic


Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. honey or light agave
  • 1 tsp finely grated peeled ginger (in the beginning I used powder)
  • 1/4 tsp echinacea extract (sometimes I skip this, it's still amazing)
  • couple drops of sriracha

Directions:
  • Measure and combine all ingredients into a mug (I double mine into a pint jar)
  • Add 1 cup boiling water stirring until sweetener is dissolved 
  • Let sit one minute before serving
inspired by bon appetit magazine (01/13)

I've been using this to replace my morning tea or afternoon snack.  If you are brave for an extra immune boost you could add some fresh peeled minced garlic.  

Wouldn't this make a great soup base?  Some sauted veggies and a spoonful of rice.  See what you can come up with...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...