Monday, January 2, 2012

A Little Craft Space of My Own

Welcome to the New Year!

I welcomed in the new year with the completion (using the terms loosely) of my own craft space. It took the entire week between Christmas and New Years to complete the project because the room was trashed. So trashed in fact that a before and after picture would have been humiliating, but believe me when I say trashed it was the kind of mess that you could barely walk into the room and walk around. In a small house, 950 square feet and almost five people space has to pull double duty and my craft room is no exception because it is also my bedroom. The room has to be functional, organized but relaxing at the same time.



If you are wondering why the room was such a mess and a week long project I would have to go back to three years ago when we bought this house. The little blue house needed a large amount of work and the house closing took longer than expected. About a month longer, so Gary had about five days to move out of his apartment and into the blue house or else renew his lease. I had an apartment (we wouldn't be married until later in the summer) and the thought of my rent, his rent, and the mortgage was just too much. A hasty move was made and it just set the tone for the next three years. I cringe because I know there is still a box or two in my tiny one car garage attic that needs to be unpacked.

At times it seemed like the project list would never be done and we would never be moved it but the completion of this craft/bedroom is very significant. It marks the beginning of being truly moved in and the last major "to do" item to cross of my list before baby boy number two comes into this world. We are in a much, much better place than when Wade was born. Don't get me wrong. There are lots of projects left for this house and some of them are major but none of them involve the unpacking and organizing that this one did that lingered for three years over my head.

I finally have my supplies at my finger tips! Let the crafting begin. 



The Giant Eagle bag holds a wreath that is waiting for completion from the holidays. I will finish it soon... now that I have the space! My computer, painting, block carving, wood burning, screen printing, sewing, drawing, markers, collage supplies, etc. are all easy to grab and find and put away. 



More supplies, pictures, stationary, and books. I really don't like the maroon baskets but I will have to live with them for now. 


Markers, highlighters (I have no idea why we have so many), and glue! Now that I have my craft space, I can begin to focus on the hundreds of ideas I have for crafts and creating beautiful spaces around the house.

What is it about the new year that just makes you want to clean, purge, and organize? What projects do you have planned for the new year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...