Friday, February 14, 2014

Vegan Gluten Free Kani Salad

Remember Good Food Friday?

Well I am happy to say we have still been eating plenty of good food just not posting our recipes.  This has to change.  Not only so we can share our inventive eats but so we can have a record of them too.  Oh how many times I have searched my own blog for my own recipe!

This one is new to me.  Kani salad.  Ever heard of it?  Introduced to me this past weekend by some food adventurous friends.  It's basically cucumber and crab with spicy mayo. But it is never real crab at these places.  No.  That fake stuff. Made with random pulverized fish, weird food starches, poor quality vegetable oils and probably MSG? Definitely not on the gluten free or real food list.  So here is a cleaned up version.


(Excuse the terrible phone photo.  Next time I promise to snap a shot with my real camera
 before I devour.  But trust me, it's beautiful...)

Spicy Kani Salad


Ingredients:
  • cucumber, julienne (I use this handy tool)
  • vermicelli rice noodles, cooked and cooled  (I tend to keep this on hand soaking in the fridge.)
  • vegan mayo - I used Vegenaise (or my Creamy Garlic Tofu Dressing, to follow)
  • sriracha
  • brown rice vinegar
  • sesame seeds
Directions:
  • Toss cucumber and noodles. I tend to always use more veggies than noodles.
  • Top with a dollop of mayo, a squirt of sriracha and a splash of vinegar and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Toss to coat evenly.   Adjust to taste!
I think the noddles basically nail the texture of fake crab, if fake crab could be considered desirable, if only for texture. This is pretty basic but I think it would be fun to add shredded carrot for more color, or tuna for protein, all on a bed of lettuce for a meal.  Some versions add mango for a slightly sweet yet spicy side dish.


And it always tastes better when eaten with chopsticks!

******************************************************

Creamy Tofu Garlic Dressing


Ingredients:
  • 8 oz organic tofu
  • 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp Braggs liquid aminos
  • 1 squirt mustard
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup organic olive oil 
  • 1/3 cup water
Directions:
  • Blend first 7 ingredients in a blender.  I used my Vitamix but I'm sure this would work in any decent blender. With blender running, slowly add oil in a thin stream.  Then add water the same way until you reach desired consistency.  It will look questionable a few times but it will come together in a beautiful creamy sort of way.
Use this as a dip base or as a mayo replacement.



2 comments:

  1. I was in severe ribs and stomach pain at about this time last year. And I went to the hospital for treatment and was diagnosed for herpes I was told it has no cure and i was so devastated because all hope seems to be lost, some drugs was given me to slowdown the viral load, and it got worse after sometime. I came across Dr. Imomion recommendation online while studying about the disease, and then I reach out to him just to try but I was taken by surprise. I got completely cured, all the pains were gone and I went back to the hospital for another test and I was tested negative to the disease. iam so happy right now Here is the doctor’s contact if are interested: doctorimomion77@gmail.com or you can massage him or Whatsapp +2347055315083 He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in severe ribs and stomach pain at about this time last year. And I went to the hospital for treatment and was diagnosed for herpes I was told it has no cure and i was so devastated because all hope seems to be lost, some drugs was given me to slowdown the viral load, and it got worse after sometime. I came across Dr. Imomion recommendation online while studying about the disease, and then I reach out to him just to try but I was taken by surprise. I got completely cured, all the pains were gone and I went back to the hospital for another test and I was tested negative to the disease. iam so happy right now Here is the doctor’s contact if are interested: doctorimomion77@gmail.com or you can massage him or Whatsapp +2347055315083 He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...