Monday, September 10, 2012

Food Stamped: Watch for Free One Week Only!



Did you know that September 2012 is hunger action month? Did you know that 49 MILLION Americans face hunger daily? That is 1 in 6 people - 1 in 5 children. **Wow**. Let that sink in. Someone and their KIDS are hungry in your neighborhood. I just don't know what to do with that number. With the rampant increase in diet related health problems in our country it is easy to see the correlation. Cheap food doesn't equal good-for-you food. 

Husband and wife Yoav and Shira Potash, in their documentary "Food Stamped", take a look at whether or not it is possible to eat healthy on food stamps. With $50.00 a week for two people, a dollar per person per meal, they shop for organic ingredients for a full seven day period. Is it possible to eat healthy, real food? Watch to find out (free until Saturday). If you have the money please support this film or any number of food related causes. One thing is for sure: eating healthy requires time, knowledge, access and of course good planning.

I have thought of our family as frugal and wise with our food dollars (with room for improvement of course) spending $100-$150 roughly every week for five people but now I feel pushed farther to be even "thriftier". To increase my efforts if you will. Here is a family that spends only $100 a month on food and they chronicle their choices on their blog "One Hundred Dollars a Month". Transforming their food budget from $800+ monthly to just $100 a month in four years is pretty impressive. Granted browsing through their blog this evening did revival some food choices that real foodie snobs would turn up their noses at I give them huge props for what they are achieving. Looking for more you can do right now? Visit Hunger Action Month for ideas.

I need time to digest what I just watched, how it affected me, and what I am going to do about it. Clearly 2 a.m. is not the time for that but I wanted to watch the film in it's entirety before I recommended you do the same. I think it is more than worth it though. 

Let's all think heavily on this issue. It shouldn't be one that we just glance at and ignore. How do you make your money go far in this really rocky economy? What do you think we should do to help feed America's hungry? Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...