Friday, September 9, 2011

Good Food Friday : Tuna Cabonara

This is my absolute favorite fast supper.  I honestly can not believe I haven't shared this with you!  It comes together super quick with staples I'm sure you already have in your kitchen and even being a pasta dish I packs in a ton of protein.  My only complaint is that this dish can be awfully "beige" and colorless so please do your eyes a favor and add the veggies!


My usual recipe for this makes enough for our seven but the ingredients are totally flexible.  You really can't go wrong.

Tuna Cabonara

Ingredients:

  • pasta
  • tuna
  • onions
  • red bell pepper (optional, in fact most times I don't have this but its great for color)
  • fresh parsley (again optional but great for presentation)
  • Parmesan cheese (fresh grated) 
  • eggs, beaten
  • salt
  • oil or butter
Directions:
  • Boil pasta in salted water until al dente. 
  • While pasta is boiling, saute onion and peppers in oil or butter.  When veggies are softened, added canned strained tuna.  Cook until warm throughout.
  • Have cheese grated and eggs beaten
  • Drain pasta, but do not rinse.    Toss pasta into the tuna mixture and quickly toss with eggs and cheese.  The residual heat from the pasta will cook the eggs and melt the cheese.  
  • Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and stir in parsley.  Serve immediately. 
I usually let the number of cans of tuna dictate the beaten eggs.  In our house, it is three cans of tuna to three eggs.  See, plenty of protein.  This recipe always makes it.  No matter what I have on hand I can pull this one off.  No peppers?  How about peas?  No spaghetti?  Substitute rice.  Just don't skip the cheese or eggs.   The combine and become the creamy sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...