Thursday, January 27, 2011

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

(the girls enjoying an afternoon in my grandma's new kitchen)

I spent a good share of my childhood at my grandparents house. My grandma, like yours, is the worlds best cook. Her most coveted recipes are her desserts and her soups. Dessert. The word speaks for itself. But if anyone knows me they know there is nothing more appetizing than something hot consumed out of a bowl with a spoon! Grandma made soup every day of the year. No kidding. Even on the absolute hottest afternoon we were eating soup. Not "normal" stuff like chicken noodle, but instead soups made from odd ingredients like pickles or beets. So many of my evenings at her home were spent in the kitchen drinking cup after cup of hot tea with lemon and honey and baking yummy stuff. Grandma doesn't have cook books or recipe cards, but cooks from memory with handfuls and pinches as measurements. Weighing ingredients in her palms and mixing with her hands. For me, soup is not just food, but memories. And the best part is now my kids love soup. I make the "normal" stuff and some crazy stuff. I'm constantly searching to find my next big hit. Well, here it is folks. Found with luck and proved to be a keeper by many. In the past three weeks its been requested at a two lunches with friends and a birthday party. People have said its like a curry, which I have yet to taste let alone attempt to make. It is spicy and creamy, fills you up like a bowl of chili and just plain good!

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 cups broth
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1 15oz can black beans (I used dried, because I'm short on money but long on time!)
  • 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Directions:

Saute red pepper flakes in oil. Add heavy cream, broth and pumpkin. Stir until blended. Whisk in brown sugar and spices. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add beans and cheese. Rewarm over low heat, whisking occasionally. Serve with dollops of sour cream! Serves 4

---- Recipe from Mary Janes Farm magazine ----

Another reason I tried and loved this recipe .... I still have so much pumpkin I froze last fall to get through...


Twenty organic pie pumpkins grown from seed in my own backyard.


My goodness! What a mess...


... but soooooo worth it!

Since you've got that pumpkin out, why not take a look at another pumpkin recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...