Friday, April 27, 2012

Good Food Friday: Chocolate Apricot Bars

I love the idea of unprocessed food.  Real food.  Whole food.  Foods that heal.  That benefit my body.  I would say I eat this way about 80% of the time. The 20% of the time that I don't is normally for dessert.  But why?  Because healthy desserts have a nasty reputation for being boring, tasteless or just plain weird. As I have been reading more and more, learning about how individual ingredients function in a recipe it is getting so much easier to discover satisfying sweets that fit in the whole unprocessed category.  

Like this.  



Almost completely nuts and fruit this is just about the healthiest treat I can imagine.  And with the addition of dark chocolate chips, it tastes indulgent.  Almost like a granola bar I'm betting this will be great in the morning with a piece of fruit and mug of hot tea for breakfast!


Chocolate Apricot Bars (Gluten Free)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup ground almonds (I did mine in a coffee grinder, but a food processor would work too)
  • 3/4 cup rice flour
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots 
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • a few tablespoons water
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 dark chocolate chips


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350*.  Lightly grease an 8X8 baking dish.  
  • Combine dry ingredients besides chocolate.  
  • Add beaten eggs and mix with a fork until ingredients are no longer dry.  If the dough is not sticking together, add water a tablespoon at a time. 
  • Add chocolate chips.  
  • Lightly press dough into the pan.  Bake for 25 minute.  Allow to cool or if you can't wait, go ahead and sneak a square.  They hold up well (if you eat gluten free and avoid synthetic binders you know what I mean) and are quite filling.



Inspired by Elana's Pantry


P.S. I was right... they do make an excellent breakfast!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...