Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Baby Shower Decorations

My dear friend Heather is expecting her first baby this fall. Isn't she adorable. She totally humors me and will pose whenever and wherever I want for a photo. The best!


I am truly giddy for her. Babies are my favorite with parties as a close second, as if you couldn't tell. So of course I wanted to help in any (creative) way possible and basically begged her to let me put together some pretty things for her baby shower. With only a handful of ribbons, a stack of scrapbook paper and a few odds and ends, here is what I came up with.

All baby showers need cupcakes, or so I'm told. Maybe its the similarity of size between the bite sized cakes and the baby to be... who knows? But they will look cute stacked high on these spiffed up cardboard towers.


And if there are cupcakes there must be cupcake toppers...


I thought it would be fun to have pinwheels. So first I made big ones...


and then more... slightly smaller....


and even more... even smaller....


They were a breeze to make. Start with a square. Cut from the points towards the middle, leaving about a square inch in the middle not cut. Put a generous dot of hot glue in the center and pull the same pointed end of each quarter towards it. Secure on top with a button. Turn it over and use another dot of glue to stick a skewer to the pinwheel. Cover the pointy end with paper.

Safety first... cover that pointy end!

Medium -- Small -- Large

Heather wanted to showcase some of her mom's cut flowers at the shower as centerpieces. Rather than use vases, we decided on mason jars.


There are a dozen jars adorned with ribbons, buttons and stickers (from the scrapbook paper).

She loved the paper garland I made for the boys birthday party this summer so I thought I would sew up a ton to put some color on the walls too.


I had a huge stack of paper circles sitting next to my sewing machine and I would randomly grab them and stitch them together. I was also reading books to the little one, discussing supper ideas, and probably playing cards with the boys so my sewing wasn't at its best...


There are 2 - 20ft long strands for the walls and a couple shorter 6-8 ft strands for tables. To store and travel, I secure one end of the strand to a box or piece of cardboard with tape and wrap up and down the box. For the second strand, I wrap the other way, side to side, securing the other end with tape to finish. I alternate until all the garland strands are on the box.


Now just to keep all of these delicate paper creations out of little hands until this weekend...


Hope you love them, Aunt Feather (as Eden calls her).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...