Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Twine Wrapped Wreath

Let me start with an apology. Here I am for the past month celebrating each and every possible sign of the coming spring and pouting whenever we take a step back and get snow when I am the one to blame. I have seeds started and herbs growing in the raised beds but apparently I was the reason spring had not truly sprung. It occurred to me the other afternoon when I opened my front door and I was staring at my Christmas wreath.

Ugh, this picture is terrible but is there really a way
to make a Christmas wreath look good in April?

My actions have been begging for warmer weather but my decor had not. I vowed then and there to not only remove the guilty party but replace it with something worthy of sunny days and higher temperatures.


Just the other day I found some great deals while shopping in town. This "Welcome" mat and stamped metal pots were inspiring my front porch. I wanted a wreath to echo the color and texture of my latest purchases. With my hermit personality, I scavenged the garage and fabric closet. Versions of wrapped wreaths can be found everywhere so this is by no means an original and I would have never thought to make it had I not found a broken Styrofoam form in my salvaged pile. However, I do think using baler twine to wrap, as opposed to ribbon or pretty yarns makes it very "me." Let me tell you it is amazing what girl can accomplish with a glue gun.


Baler twine and a broken Styrofoam form

I cut the twine into managable lengths (did you see the size of that roll?). The twine was tied to the form and wrapped, no fancy tricks there. And the wrapping was just that, no right or wrong way, just making sure the form was covered. After the first layer was tight and complete, I did wrap around a couple more times, so it wouldn't look so perfect and finished.


When the wreath was about half wrapped I put it aside to worry about what to accent it with. I remembered these and decided to go with it. I made a bunch of flowers, roses and such, all different fabrics... muslin, t-shirts, lace, wool, felt. I could not decide which I liked, if any. When they were lying on the counter like this, it clicked.


Like me, a little bit of everything... and in my opinion, it worked. So I glued them on, stuck in a few dried flowers here and there and was done.


What do you think? A little bit "farm" but still pretty. I'm allowed to do that right?


I think the door deserves a fresh coat of paint to go with this pretty wrapped wreath. I can't wait to see it gracing the front door of this blue house in the near future.


Just another way "something" can be made of seemingly "nothing."


...................................................................................................................


A HUGE thanks to Verde Farm and Dandelion House for hosting such a great blog hop. I know I met a bunch of cool people, read tons of neat ideas and got some encouragement last week so be sure to visit today and look at all they have going on!



...............................................................................................................

Remember our post a couple weeks ago about how you can make thick and creamy Greek style yogurt at home? At the bottom I alluded to yet another yummy thing to craft from homemade yogurt. Well, I have been enjoying this something all week and I'm finally ready to share a gourmet food secret with you from my kitchen. Come back Good Food Friday for a super recipe and a challenge!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE your wreath! I can relate... we had to wait for the snow to melt off our front porch before I could get to the door to even take our Christmas wreath down! I made one too to celebrate spring!

    http://www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com/2011/03/bring-on-spring-silk-flowers-at-your.html

    Thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful wreath. I love the colours and the idea that is simple yet beautiful. I am over from Dandelion House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wreath is beautiful , love it. I might try one with baling twine , I'm thinking I would really like the texture of twine. Thanks for sharing another wonderful idea.

    ~ Farm Friend Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is such a cute wreath! I like to use baling twine in my home decor as well.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. bailing twine is exactly what i used! i got two huge rolls free from a garage sale years ago... know any other crafts with the stuff???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...