Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Food Friday: Roasted Broccoli

Best. Broccoli. Ever. Period.

There is something absolutely magical that happens when vegetables are roasted in the oven. Throw in a few extra things and this broccoli can satisfy and stand alone like no other. Don't have the exact ingredients in your pantry? No problem. It's a mix and match kind of recipe. Totally customizable. You like more garlic? Do it! Low sodium? Forget the salt and go easy on the cheese. You just can not go wrong but I highly recommend serving it up this way. It will be a truly unforgettable side dish.

Roasted Broccoli (with garlic lemon and Parmesan)

Ingredients:
  • fresh broccoli (sometimes I throw some quartered carrots on too)
  • garlic
  • olive oil
  • Parmesan cheese
  • lemon (juice and zest)
  • salt and pepper

all of the ingredients are to taste


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400* F. Cut broccoli into large stalks (make sure its as dry as possible or it won't end up super crisp). Spread it out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle oil, chopped garlic and salt and pepper over broccoli and toss. Pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes or more, until the tops of the veggies start to turn dark and black, don't totally burn it though. While it is in the oven, grate lemon zest and Parmesan cheese. When the broccoli is done, pull it out of the oven and immediately toss with cheese and zest. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on and serve while hot, but it is still delicious room temp, heck, even cold.


I'm going to be bringing this roasted broccoli perfection to our Easter supper. When most vegetable dishes at the holiday table are smothered in condensed soup or boiled to mush, this dish surprises even the non-veggie lovers. It is definitely another staple in my kitchen. I just cant wait to try it with my homegrown organic DeCisso Broccoli!


first planting

second planting

...and I just started my third round of broccoli this way I'll have plants maturing at different times and a constant harvest of dark green yummy broccoli! I think I know exactly how I'm going to prepare that first fresh bunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...