Friday, April 1, 2011

Good Food Friday: Pasta Fagioli


After spending Monday and Tuesday having visitors to my blue house, it was nice to have nothing to do on Wednesday. And when I say nothing, I never actually mean nothing. I spent the day in and out of the kitchen catching up on things. Breads needed to be baked, beans needed to be cooked and I could not forget dessert. There was even a bag of yogurt hanging from the cupboard, dripping slowly to become cheese. After a bit of kneeding and stirring, I took a loaf of hot bread over to a neighbors for lunch. When we returned, the kids headed to the basement and I attempted a nap. Anyone who has kids know that naps are only attempted never guaranteed. I awoke startled to a shrill scream.

SNOW.


Yes, snow, when just twenty minutes ago there were patches of brownish green grass struggling for new spring growth. I pulled on anther layer of clothing, turned up the heat a few degrees and headed back to the kitchen, this time with supper on my mind. Soup? Of course. I mean, how much longer am I going to get away with that for dinner and with the white stuff again coating the landscapes, who would argue.

This is probably my favorite soup. The right amount of spicy and plenty of protein. Though traditionally a meatless dish, the turkey sausage helps make this a meal on its own, even for the guys. Although the word pasta is in the title, there is none in my soup so feel free to add some the last few minutes. Rice is also nice!

Pasta Fagioli
(Fa - zool)

Ingredients:
  • olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic (less if you don't love it)
  • 3 carrots
  • 2 ribs celery
  • 1 pkg lean Italian turkey sausage - spicy (1.25 lbs) casings removed
  • 1 quart tomato sauce
  • 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 quarts water
  • 2 bouillon cubes
  • 3 cups cooked great northern beans
  • 3 handfuls kale or spinach or combination
  • pinch each thyme and red pepper flakes
Directions:
  • Saute garlic in olive oil. Add finely chopped carrots and celery. Add turkey sausage and cook thoroughly. Add sauce, tomatoes, water, bouillon, beans, greens and seasonings. Simmer for 30 minutes. Serve warm topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese and warm bread.




Here are a few photos of my day in the kitchen.

spelt-rye bread


bread helper

gluten free peanut butter cookies


cookie helper


.........................................................................................


It is snowing again this morning. Wish I could say "April fools"....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...