Monday, February 7, 2011

My first One Yard Wonder

You are well aware how much Lauren and I love the library. We can rent DVD's, get armfuls of inspiring magazines without a subscription and pick up the newest Captain Underpants comics for our boys all for free.

This is another reason...


(Using what I had on hand, a vintage towel, I adapted the pattern from a dress to a bathing suit cover up for my daughter. )

I made this from a book I borrowed from my teeny tiny local library. It came with a complete sewing lingo dictionary, simple instructions for a bunch of neat projects and all of the
the patterns and templates.

I oriented the pattern so the gaudy towel fringe became a great ruffle-ish detail.


The top has a gathered band. In the back, I cut the waistband from a stained pair or her leggings and inserted it into the band to help make it fit snug.


The book is titled "One Yard Wonders" and that about says it all. All projects can be made from one yard of fabric or less. A great way to make something cute on the cheap. Beautiful shopping bags, adorable baby booties, sweet summer jammies, and all sorts of stuff to help you get organized.

One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!

I know that I'm dreaming making something for warm weather when its February, but she loves it so much she fell asleep still wearing it. Kids are great for boosting a mediocre sewers self-esteem.

P.S. The library just called. Apparently I mistakenly returned a personal copy of Captain Underpants instead of the one we borrowed. But that's okay. She said she would renew the one that is still in my possession and stick mine in lost-and-found with our name on it. It is totally awesome to really know your librarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...